Dr. Maria Bonilla
Dr. Maria Bonilla is a board-certified dermatologist, recognized by the American Board of Dermatology. She received her MD degree from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) after graduating from San Diego State University. She completed her dermatology residency at the University of Kansas, where she was the Chief Resident. After working in private practice in San Diego, Dr. Bonilla went on to head the Department of Dermatology at Kaiser Permanente in San Marcos, CA for 6 years. Most recently, Dr. Bonilla has founded Lanoi Cosmetic Dermatology and joined Poway Dermatology.
To ensure her patients receive the best possible care, she actively learns the newest clinical and cosmetic techniques. Her expertise in cosmetic and laser surgery is highly regarded among her colleagues and patients. Dr. Bonilla’s passion is to help her patients achieve healthy skin that they can feel confident in. Because she believes in treating her patients wholesomely, rather than just their conditions, she takes the time to tailor each treatment to her patients’ individual needs. Moreover, Dr. Bonilla frequently performs surgical excisions to treat malignant and non-malignant lesions, including skin cancers, cysts, and lipomas. Her professional societies include the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), and the San Diego Dermatology.
Lanoi Cosmetic Dermatology- Founder and Medical Director
With over 10 years of cosmetic dermatology experience, Dr. Bonilla is often sought after for her skills for treatments, such as Intense Pulse Light (IPL), non-ablative fractional laser resurfacing, and ablative CO2 laser. Using her expertise as a top cosmetic dermatologist, Dr. Bonilla founded her new and current practice, Lanoi Cosmetic Dermatology, in San Diego in 2018. The premier cosmetic dermatology facility in San Diego, Lanoi’s core focus is treating cosmetic dermatology conditions, including wrinkles, age spots, and hairloss. Furthermore, she is a seasoned injector for Botox, Juvederm, Restylane, Sculptra, and more. Other services include plasma rich plasma (PRP), Coolsculpting, microneedling, and Hydrafacials. Lanoi’s state-of-the-art cosmetic and surgical suites create a luxurious ambience, where Dr. Bonilla and her team help patients achieve healthy and beautiful skin that they can feel confident in. For more information on cosmetic services, visit https://lanoi.com.
Visit Dr. Bonilla on SkyMD
Due to her limited availability, if you are interested in consulting with Dr. Maria Bonilla, you can submit a virtual visit through SkyMD. Through SkyMD, you will be able to receive a diagnosis and treatment plan within 24 hours without having to schedule an appointment! SkyMD is covered by most major commercial insurance plans, including Anthem Blue Cross, Aetna, Blue Shield, Cigna, and United Healthcare. Dr. Bonilla is able to consult with patients in California. Visits www.skymd.com to start a vist with Dr. Bonilla today!
- Featured Dermatologist, SkyMD Telemedicine, October 2018-Present
- Medical Director, Lanoi Cosmetic Dermatology, October 2018 – Present
- Dermatologist, Kaiser Permanente, San Marcus, CA, January 2012 – September 2018
- Dermatologist, Sharp Rees-Steely, La Mesa, CA, 2011-2012
- Torrey Pines Dermatology, La Jolla, CA, CA, 2009-2011
- Chief Dermatology Resident, Univ. of Kansas, Division of Dermatology, 2008-2009
- Dermatology Resident, Univ. of Kansas, Division of Dermatology, 2006-2009
- Internship in Medicine, White Memorial Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2005-2006
- M.D. degree, Univ. of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, 2000-2004
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Chemistry, and American Indian Studies, San Diego State University, June 1999
- Undergraduate in Finance, Southwestern College, June 1995
Board Certification and Licensure:
- Board Certified by the American Board of Dermatology in Dermatology
- Medical Licenses: CA
- Treatment of rhytidectomy incision sites with intense pulse light– Daniel Aires, MD, University of Kansas, Division of Dermatology, 2008
- Anatomic location and surgical wound complication rates– Daniel Aires, MD, University of Kansas, Division of Dermatology, 2006- 2007
- Topical clobetasol for the treatment of pemphigus vulgaris– Michael S. Kolodney M.D., Ph.D., Research Education Institute at Harbor-UCLA, 2003-2004
- Caffeine mediating protection from photocarcinogenesis in human skin– Michael S. Kolodney M.D., Ph.D., GCRC Medical Student Research Program at Harbor-UCLA, 2003-2004
- In vitro effects of statins and MEKK inhibitors on melanoma– Michael S. Kolodney M.D., Ph.D., LA Biomed at Harbor-UCLA, 2004
Honors and Selected Awards:
- Letter of distinction – Family medicine, 2003
- GCRC Research Grant at Harbor-UCLA REI, 2003
- Melinkoff Scholarship, 2002 – 2004
- Risse’ Scholarship, 2001 – 2004
- National Medical Fellowships Scholar, 2000 – 2002
- Catch Me Caring Award, Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, 1999
- Golden Key National Honor Society, San Diego State University, 1998
- Mabel Myers Biology Scholarship, San Diego State University, 1997
- Mary and Philip Kantor Biology Scholarship, San Diego State University, 1996
- Dean’s List, San Diego State University, 1995-1996
- Outstanding Student in English, HCOP at San Diego State University, 1995
- Outstanding Student in Chemistry, HCOP at San Diego State University, 1995
- Governor’s Award, Southwestern College, 1994
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- San Diego Dermatologic Society
- M. Lopez, A. Bonilla, M.S. Kolodney, Abstract: “Using a novel device to quantitatively measure basement membrane breaking strength variations amongst different ages and skin types” Presented at the American Medical Women’s Association Conference, Feb. 2004.
- M. Lopez, A. Bonilla, M.S. Kolodney, Abstract: “Understanding Mechanical Factors in Bullous Disease Using a Novel Suction Blister Instrument”; Journal of Investigative Dermatology 122(3); Mar 2004, p229 Presented at the Society of Investigative Dermatology 2004.
- Su A2, Robbins B1, Ellison D1, Koperski, J3, Bonilla M4, Ra S1 . “Leukemia cutis in association with cutaneous epidermal malignancies”: J Cutan Pathol. 2012 Oct; 39(10):971-6.