Dr. Nathan Uebelhoer
Dr. Nathan Uebelhoer is a dermatologist, who has practiced Mohs Surgery and laser procedures for over 20 years ago. As an expert in his field, he has since lectured across the United States and throughout the world, authored numerous peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on dermatology, and won awards for his teaching and military service. After completing medical school at the University of New England, he went to the Naval Medical Center in San Diego for internship and dermatology residency. Following Board Certification by the American Board of Dermatology, he obtained sub-specialty training in skin-cancer surgery and facial cutaneous reconstruction through a one-year fellowship in Cosmetic and Laser Surgery at SkinCare Physicians of Chestnut Hill in Boston, Massachusetts. Since then, he has served as the division head of Mohs and Laser Surgery with the Navy in San Diego until retiring as a Commander in 2013.
Dr. Uebelhoer was also trained as a Naval Flight surgeon and private pilot and proudly served in this capacity deployed with the U.S. Marine Corps. In addition to Procedural Dermatology, he has been heavily involved in rural and tropical medicine, and he continues to lecture throughout the world on his pioneering work with scar rehabilitation in wounded warriors. Dr. Uebelhoer is highly regarded for his work in Mohs surgery and expertise in laser resurfacing. When not in the operating room, Nathan is with his family and occasionally takes the time to play golf and the piano.
Visit Dr. Uebelhoer on SkyMD
Due to his limited availability, if you are interested in consulting with Dr. Nathan Uebelhoer, you can submit a virtual visit through SkyMD. Through SkyMD, you will be able to receive a diagnosis and treatment plan within 24 hours without having to schedule an appointment! SkyMD is covered by most major commercial insurance plans, including Anthem Blue Cross, Aetna, Blue Shield, Cigna, and United Healthcare. Dr. Uebelhoer is able to consult with patients in California, Arizona, Maine, Wyoming, and New Jersey. Visits www.skymd.com to start a vist with Dr. Uebelhoer today!
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science, Biology. Gordon College, 1988-1992
- Medical School: Doctor of Osteopathy. University of New England College of
Osteopathic Medicine, 1992-1997
- Medical School Fellowship: Anatomy/Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Teaching Fellowship, 1996-1997
- Internship: General Rotating Transitional Internship, Naval Medical Center San Diego, 1998
- U.S. Naval Flight Surgeon Training: NAS Pensacola, 1998-1999
- Residency: Dermatology, Naval Medical Center San Diego, 6/30/01-6/29/04
- Cosmetic Surgery and Laser Fellowship: SkinCare Physicians of Chestnut Hill,
Chestnut Hill, MA, 7/1/04- 6/30/05
Recent Work History
- Volunteer Staff Dermatologic and Laser Surgeon: Naval Medical Center San Diego 9/1/13-Current
- Staff Dermatologic Surgeon – The Aroostook Medical Center 9/1/13 – Current
- Staff Dermatologic and Laser Surgeon – Naval Medical Center San Diego
7/1/05 – 4/20/08 and 12/7/08 – 8/29/13
License and Specialty Certifications
Diplomat of the American Board of Dermatology, Board Certification: 8/16/04
Current Unrestricted State Licenses:
Maine #1614, exp. 5/20/2014
California #20A9328, exp 5/20/2015
Guest Editor for Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, “Treatment of Scars” In press. March 2015
Perry A, Elston J, Reynolds H, Hawley L, Kroonen L, Uebelhoer NS, Shumaker PR.
Ablative fractional photothermolysis in the treatment of scar contractures of the wrists and forearms: a retrospective data analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. Oct;71(4):841-2; 2014.
Krakowski AC, Admani S, Shumaker PR, Uebelhoer NS. Fractionated carbon dioxide laser as a novel, noninvasive treatment approach to burn scar-related nail dystrophy. Dermatol Surg. Mar;40(3):351-4; 2014
Anderson, R., Donelan, M., Hivnor, C., Eric Greeson, E., Ross, E., Shumaker, P., Uebelhoer, N., Waibel, J. Consensus Paper: Laser Treatment of Burn and Traumatic Scars. JAMA Dermatol Feb; 2014.
Krakowski, A.C., Admani, S., Shumaker, P.R., Uebelhoer, N.S.
Fractionated CO2 Laser as a Novel and Non-invasive Treatment Approach for
Burn Scar-related Nail Dystrophy. Dermatol Surg, 2014.
Krakowski, A., Admani, S., Uebelhoer, N., Eichenfield, L., Shumaker, P. Residual Scarring from Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Fractionated CO2 Laser as a Novel Approach. Pediatrics, 2014.
Shumaker PR, Kwan JM, Badiavas EV, Waibel J, Davis S, Uebelhoer NS. Rapid healing of scar-associated chronic wounds after ablative fractional resurfacing. Arch Dermatol. 2012 Nov 1;148(11):1289-93.
Shumaker PR, Kwan JM, Landers JT, Uebelhoer NS. Functional improvements in traumatic scars and scar contractures using an ablative fractional laser protocol. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Aug;73(2 Suppl 1):S116-21.
Uebelhoer NS, Ross EV, Shumaker PR. Ablative fractional resurfacing for the treatment of traumatic scars and contractures. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2012 Jun;31(2):110-20.
Letada PR, Landers JT, Uebelhoer NS, Shumaker PR . Treatment of focal axillary hyperhidrosis using a long-pulsed Nd:YAG 1064 nm laser at hair reduction settings. J Drugs Dermatol. 2012 Jan;11(1):59-63.
Kwan JM, Wyatt M, Uebelhoer NS, Pyo J, Shumaker PR. Functional improvement after ablative fractional laser treatment of a scar contracture. PM&R. 2011 Oct;3(10):986-7.
Kineston D, Kwan JM, Uebelhoer NS, Shumaker PR. Use of a fractional ablative 10.6-μm carbon dioxide laser in the treatment of a morphea-related contracture. Arch Dermatol. 2011 Oct;147(10):1148-50.
Letada PR, Uebelhoer NS, Masters R, Satter EK, Shumaker PR. Alopecia of the scalp after ineffective treatment of Bowen’s disease using red light 5-aminolevulinic acid photodynamic therapy: two case reports. Derm Surg. 36(11):1786-9; 2010.
Regan TD, Uebelhoer NS, Satter E, Ross EV. Depth of tissue ablation and residual thermal damage caused by a pixilated 2,940 nm laser in a swine skin model. Lasers Surg Med. 42(5):408-11; 2010.
Letada PR, Shumaker PR, Uebelhoer NS. Demonstration of protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) localized to areas of palmar skin injected with 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) and pre-treated with a fractionated CO2 laser prior to topically applied ALA. Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther. 7(2):120-2. (Epub); 2010.
Ballin JS, Uebelhoer NS. The use of the low-fluence 1064 nm Nd:YAG laser in a female with contraindications to systemic anti-acne therapy. J Drugs Dermatol. 8(11):1025-6; 2009.
Galeckas KJ, Uebelhoer NS. Successful Treatment of Pyogenic Granuloma Using a
1,064-nm Laser Followed by Glycerin Sclerotherapy. Dermatol Surg. 35(3):1–5. 2009
Kakimoto CV, Ross EV, Uebelhoer NS. En Coup de Sabre Presenting as a Port-Wine Stain Previously Treated with Pulsed Dye Laser. Dermatol Surg. 35(1):165-7. 2009
Guest Editor for Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, “A Practical Update on Lasers” 27(4). 2008
Uebelhoer NS, Ross EV. Introduction: Combination Treatments and Optimization of Potential. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 27(4):221-226. 2008
Winstanley D, Uebelhoer, NS. Future considerations in lasers and lights. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 27(4):300-6,2008.
Groff WF, Fitzpatrick RE, Uebelhoer, NS. Fractional Carbon Dioxide Laser and Plasmakinetic Skin Resurfacing. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 27(4):239-51,2008.
Kempiak SJ, Uebelhoer NS. Superficial chemical peels and microdermabrasion for acne vulgaris. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 27(3):212-20,2008.
Galeckas KJ, Collins M, Ross EV, Uebelhoer NS. Split-Face Treatment of Facial Dyschromia: Pulsed Dye Laser with a Compression Handpiece versus Intense Pulsed Light. Dermatol Surg.34(5):672-80. 2008
Gonzalez MJ, Sturgill WH, Ross EV, Uebelhoer NS. Treatment of acne scars using the plasma skin regeneration (PSR) system. Lasers Surg Med.40(2):124-7. 2008
Galeckas KJ, Ross EV, Uebelhoer NS. A pulsed dye laser with a 10-mm beam diameter and a pigmented lesion window for purpura-free photorejuvenation. Dermatol Surg.34(3):308-13. 2008
Ross EV, Uebelhoer NS, Domankevitz Y. Use of a novel pulse dye laser for rapid single-pass purpura-free treatment of telangiectases. Dermatol Surg.33(12):1466-9. 2007
Uebelhoer NS, Bogle MA, Dover JS, Arndt KA, Rohrer TE. Comparison of stacked pulses versus double-pass treatments of facial acne with a 1,450-nm laser. Dermatol Surg.33(5):552-9. 2007
Uebelhoer NS, Bogle MA, Stewart B, Arndt KA, Dover JS. A split-face comparison study of pulsed 532-nm KTP laser and 595-nm pulsed dye laser in the treatment of facial telangiectasias and diffuse telangiectatic facial erythema. Dermatol Surg. 33(4):441-8. 2007
Shumaker PR, England LJ, Dover JS, Ross EV, Harford R, Derienzo D, Bogle M, Uebelhoer N, Jacoby M, Pope K. Effect of monopolar radiofrequency treatment over soft-tissue fillers in an animal model: part 2. Lasers Surg Med. 38(3):211-7. 2006
Uebelhoer NS, Dover JS. Photodynamic therapy for cosmetic applications. Dermatol Ther. 18(3):242-52. 2005
Railan D, Parlette EC, Uebelhoer NS, Rohrer TE. Laser treatment of vascular lesions. Clinics in Dermatology, 2006;24(1):8-15.
Ross EV, Uebelhoer NS. Acne. In Lasers. Goldberg D ed., Dover JS series ed. Procedures in Cosmetic Dermatology. London: Elsevier; 2005 (Revised 2008).
American Society of Dermatologic Surgery’s Guidelines of Care for Liposuction, 2005 (contributing author).
Uebelhoer N, Paithankar DY, Ross E Laser treatment of facial acne with a 1450 nm diode laser [abstract]. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2003:15 (suppl):29.
Selected Lectures (2013)
- Fractional Laser Complications – Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Laser Treatment of Traumatic Scars – Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Laser treatment of vascular lesions – Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Laser Treatment of Pigmented Lesions – Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Full Face Laser Resurfacing – Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Laser and surgical treatment of traumatic scars and burns – Laser and Aesthetic Skin Therapy: What’s the Truth?, Boston, MA
- 10 minute video session: Treatment of Restrictive Traumatic Scars – America Society of Dermatologic Surgery, Chicago, IL.
- Treatment of Burn and Traumatic Scars – Controversies in Laser and Cosmetic Surgery, Dana Point, CA
- PDT in Acne – Controversies in Laser and Cosmetic Surgery, Dana Point, CA
- Treatment of Traumatic and Burn Scars with Fractional Laser – Aesthetic Summit, Dana Point, CA
- Dermatology for the deployed Independent Duty Corpsman – IDC School, NMCSD, San Diego, CA
- Advances in the rehabilitation of contracted and restrictive scarring – UCSD/San Diego society of physical therapy, San Diego, CA
- Cutting Edge: Treatment of Traumatic Scars – American Society of Lasers and Surgery, Boston, MA
- Maintenance of Certification: Cosmetic Surgery – American Academy of Dermatology, Miami, FL
- American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (Currently serving on the Outcomes Committee for the Society; Reviewer for their journal)
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (Fellow; currently serving as reviewer of their journal)
- American Academy of Dermatology (Fellow)
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal – 1st Marine Air Wing, 2001 (Marine Corps’ flight surgeon of the year)
- Navy Achievement Medal – U.S. Naval Southern Command, Continuing Promise 2008
- Hollander Teaching Award – Naval Medical Center San Diego, Dermatology Department (Dermatology Staff teacher of the year, 2008)
- Ellet H. Drake Memorial Award – American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (Contribution to advancement in laser medicine and surgery) 2014