What’s the best treatment for acne scars?
Acne scars can be very troublesome for anyone who suffers with these scars on their face and body. While there are many claims of various treatments that can improve the appearance of acne scars, it is best to consult a board-certified dermatologist. At Poway Dermatology, our dermatologists are experienced in the latest treatments to help you improve your complexion.
Types of Acne Scar Treatments
- Laser treatments: Laser resurfacing, such as the non-ablative fractional laser and ablative CO2, uses laser beams to to precisely destroy the outer layer of skin. As a result, this creates a controlled wound, which stimulates collagen formation. The collagen production improves the appearance of the scar by creating a more even texture. Less intense lasers cause less damage, but are also less effective.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels use high-potency acids to resurface the outer layer of the skin. The acid is applied to the skin to peel off the top layer. The top layer sloughs off, so new skin to form more smoothly and evenly. Try our patient-favorite Vi Peel and Glycolic Acid peels.
- Surgery: In some cases, surgery to remove deeply indentedacne scarsis an option. A minor procedure, called punch excision, cuts out individual acne scars. After, stitches or a skin graft repairs the hole left at the scar site.
- Tissue fillers: Injecting collagen or fat under the skin and into the acne scars can fill out or stretch the skin, making acne scars less noticeable. Results are temporary, so repeat injections will needed periodically.
- Home Skin Care: In addition to cosmetic treatments, continuing at-home treatment is crucial to maintain the skin’s texture and even out color. Our providers often recommend the EllaDerm Radiance Retinol and the Elta MD Sunscreen UV Clear to protect your investment.
If you are ready to do something about your acne scars, schedule a consultation with one of our San Diego dermatologists today to discuss the pros and cons of each procedure. To schedule an appointment, call 858-397-5755, Option 1 or schedule online here.